Thursday, May 03, 2007

To Lasik or Not to Lasik

I've always wanted to have perfect eye sight! To be able to lay on my bed and watch TV, without searching hi and low for my glasses. Or waking up in the middle of the night to take my contact lenses off becoz I forgot it was in. Or to wake up extra early to put my contact lenses in. I don't really have high prescription(Only -2.00 on both eyes), but becoz I'm a control freak, plus perfectionist. (There is a very fine line between those two) I NEED PERFECT VISION or I would feel really uncomfortable! :) So Lasik sounds like the perfect solution...


USAEyes.org concluded that 90% of patients achieved 20/40 vision or better – good enough to drive without glasses – and 65% achieved 20/20 vision, after a review of US Food and Drug Administration clinical trials, peer-reviewed data, and individual patient outcomes.

Some studies show as much as 98% with 20/20 vision or better, but these tend to be a subgroup with a low prescription and only Lasik patients. This reports includes laser and lens procedures, not just Lasik.
But Does it HURT?!?! What's the side effect??
Approximately 3% of patients had some sort of unresolved complication at six months after surgery, with 0.5% being serious problems requiring extensive maintenance or invasive correction. Dry eye symptoms are the most often reported difficulty.
The numbers are really low...

I've had a few cousins that has gone thru the procedure and are very happy with their result. Maybe... I should give this Lasik thing another look...

No comments: